The parents of Mya Whittington, a seven-month-old baby girl had a surprise of their lives when they rushed their baby to the hospital in Huthinson, Kansas. Mya’s parents Aaron and Emma Whittington noticed that an area just below her jaw puffed up to the size of one and a half gold balls with a pimple on top. Initially the doctors at Hutchinson Regional Medical Center in Kansas had diagnosed the bump for an infection, but Mya’s parents had their biggest shock when a doctor removed a 2-inch feather from the spot. “They pulled a feather out of my child,” Mya’s father, Aaron Whittington of Hutchinson, Kansas, told CBS affiliate KWCH in Wichita, Kansas. “How crazy is that?” They could not believe that the underlying cause of the baby’s distress was a two-inch-long black feather that had wedged underneath Mya Whittington’s skin.” They thought it was a swollen gland,” Aaron Whittington told the Associated Press. Convinced that it was simply a swollen gland, the doctors administered an antibiotic and sent Mya home with her parents. Mya’s grandmother soon took the baby back to the hospital after a “pimple” appeared on the swollen area, and by that time it had already grew to the size of about one and a half gold balls, Mya’s father Aaron said, Medicaldaily.com reported. “She looked like Quasimodo,” he said. Continues after the photo
The physician, who suspected a staph infection on her lymph nodes, broke the pimple to try to drain it and drew marks on her face to measure whether the swelling increased. The intravenous antibiotics were continued. A few days later, after the doctor scraped off a scab that had formed, Mya’s parents noticed something that appeared to be a string or a stick popping out from the infection. Mya’s father said they decided to leave the mysterious string or stick alone because the doctors hadn’t done anything to it. Through good luck, Mya’s paediatrician visited later that evening, and she asked what it was. She then put on a pair of gloves and plucked a two-inch-long black feather from the swollen area of the child’s neck. The parents suspect Mya had swallowed or inhaled the feather, which apparently pierced the inside of her cheek or throat and then, over time, her body forced it out the other way. Continues after the photos
Emma, Mya’s mother said they had a down pillow on their bed, but Mya wasn’t normally on it, and it’s been in the couple’s laundry room for months. Mya’s parents have however decided to throw away the pillow. “She’s been pulling on the left side of her face for a couple of months,” Associated Press quoted Emma to have said. She had thought that her daughter was teething or had an ear infection. Mya’s doctor said that the swelling must have caused her daughter an immense amount of pain, and that she only cried when the nurses poked her. Mya’s parents are relieved now that she’s back to being a happy baby. They told the Hutchinson News that they saw a specialist to drain the remnants of the swollen area, who confirmed that it had healed nicely and decided to leave it alone. “Babies put stuff in their mouth, and we got it out,” Emma told KWCH laughing.